Saturday, February 16, 2013

Whipped shea butter infused with lavender/peppermint/lemongrass

I've been thinking about how great it would be to never have to buy store bought conditioner again. So I decided it was high time to make some whipped shea butter to see what kind of alternative this would be for me. I made it in bulk quantity because I wanted it to double as a skin conditioner. I've got to tell you, since I've been using coconut oil as my facial moisturizer on my face, every time I reach for the store bought shampoo it makes me a little sick knowing that it is doused in chemicals and lacking any real benefit. Working on that shampoo alternative..but since I've been deep conditioning my hair with coconut oil about once a week, I've been using less shampoo. When I take a bath I just add about three drops of lavender and one drop of orange essential oil and I figure that is getting into my hair as well.
Now getting to the recipe here
6 ounces shea butter
4 ounces coconut oil
I used the double boiler method to heat up the shea butter..
my method: Boil some water in a pan then turn off burner..place the shea butter in a large metal bowl over top of it to warm it up then add the coconut oil. mix it up.. Put in the freezer for 5 minutes..then take out.
add 1tsp lavender essential oil (or whatever you prefer)
also added 5 drops peppermint oil and 6 drops lemongrass essential oil
whip with a electric beater then place back in the freezer for 5 minutes
then take out and whip again..the consistency should be like whipped cream when done.
For this batch I can smell the lemongrass as the top note. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment